Saturday, July 9, 2011

Rice Krispies

Snap, Crackle and Pop roasting in the rice paddy
We just endured our third day in a row of 100+ degree heat, and it looks like we have three more to go before a cold snap that will bring us back into the 95 degree range.  Oh yeah!  The kids are roasting, but I say, "Bring it on!"  There is something cleansing about dripping sweat from every pore twenty-four hours a day.  People pay for treatments in a steam room to get exactly the same effect.  I am living in a perma-spa, and it's free.  What more could I ask for?

Well...power and water would be nice. I got out the door at the crack of dawn this morning to take a long run - knowing full well that once that burning ball of gas crested the horizon I would be doing the heat-stroke stagger.  When I arrived home two hours later soaked in sweat and parched, I was greeted with the sad reality that I had neither power nor water.  Curses.

Fortunately the big ol' five gallon jug of drinking water was nearly full.  There is something less than satisfying about quenching your thirst with 90 degree water, but alas I knew I would not die of dehydration.  And then, to keep myself smiling, I reminded myself how lucky I was that I could use that precious 90 degree drinking water to give myself a little sponge bath with no fear of freezing to death.  Looking for the silver lining on a cloudless scorcher of a day...

4 comments:

  1. Be happy that you have the jug, because in February you'll have nada for 7 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Rice Krispies. Sweet and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris -
    Nada? What kind of outfit did you choose? I guess we know who will be hacking a hole in the ice and boiling my bath water. Also, I don't really plan on sweating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been away too long, Jennifer. Do you really believe Chris will hack a hole in the ice and boil water for you or Kelly? Prepare for reality, Jennifer. Love, Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete